Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Day 1 - Taipei 101


We decided to not venture too far today since we are still getting familiar with our surroundings. Right across from our hotel is Taipe 101. It is currently the tallest building in the world with the fastest elevator in the world as well. It was really windy so it was weird to see the feel the building swaying. Damper Baby really helped out today (see pics below)This was absolutely amazing! We did an audio tour and learned so much about taipei and everything surrounding this area as well. We loved it! I've posted some pictures from the sights at 101.

























This is Damper Baby - this is the mechanisms used to support Taipei 101 during high winds, typhoons and daily weather. It stablizes the building. It is a big deal at Taipei101, with all sorts of souviners with a little damper baby with a face on them and he even has a personality profile which I got a kick out of:




There were huge wall display like this descibing the telcommunications, the electric, the cost, timeline for building and the Top 10 tallest buildings in the world. FYI - Empire State Building is #8 :)

We also had our first dining experience and I was in HEAVEN - I swear I could eat Asian food everynight of the week and the beef noodle soup and pork dumplings we had were awesome. Chris and I literally decided we could eat this everyday - the food is amazing. Some things were different like seeing the whole chicken and fish and shrimp with everything including the eyes and also as we ventured to the Jason's at Taiwan 101 a lot of sandwiches and items like lobster salad or tuna salad sandwiches were all out deli style but were not refridgerated. It was little strange going through not being able to read a lot of the labels but it was such a nice grocery store and we got some taiwan snacks, teas and beer to try - they have some called "Essential Beer" and we got a kick out of that - and some food and rice crackers for Sophia. We headed to Watsons, which is like a drug store for the wipes and diapers (thanks for the tips Judy!) so we are all ready for her, we just need her! The crib was delivered as well so it is really surreal to have a crib in the room. I also realized I totally overpacked for her, but hey - c'est la vie at least she has anything she could ever need, fashions included - LOL





A note about Taipei 101, on the streets I did not get a lot of looks but in taipei 101 I was really stared at a lot. I guess being pale with big blonde hair totally makes one stand out but this is something I am going to have to get used too. By no means at all was anyone rude, mean or doing it purposely I am just not used to it so now that I've been through it today - - I should be good to go.

For all of you waiting to travel - take it from someone who hasn't traveled to Europe since high school and the farthest I've been since then is Mexico so I'm not a seasoned traveler at all - - this city is very easy to navigate. Tomorrow we are going to the Handicraft Market and the Jade and Flower Market for souviners. We are also going to try to go to a night market and hit Chiang Kai Shek or find the cable cars that take you up over the mountains. This city is really beautiful. I'll share anything I find out through travelling to these desitnations which are farther away from our hotel and such.



Its about 7:25 pm here and I've been up all day - YEAH! but I'm fading fast. I'm taking this opportunity to post long nice detailed posts as I'm sure once we get Sophia I may not have time...
It hit me today when Chris said - Tomorrow is our last day as a family of 2!!!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to have read your post this morning! I can't wait until we see the photos of both of you with Sophia! Only one more day! Have a great Sunday!
Much love, Fel

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your arrival and just a matter of hours now to Sophia! Love all of your pictures and hearing about your adventures. I'm ready to be there NOW!
Blessings,
T.

JackieMacD said...

You're getting CLOSER!! Woo hoo!

Lori Catlin said...

yeah!!!!! not long now and you'll be holding your angel..yesterday and today I keep saying omg i can't believe they are in Taiwan!! I'm soooo excited for you guys..you're really there! glad the flight was good and you guys are there safely...the pics of the city are amazing..way more city than I anticipated
anxious to hear and see more..was at Eclipse this morning and we logged on and showed the girls =)
can't stop thinking about you guys..lots of love the Catlin crew

McQuivey Family said...

It is as if we are there with you. Thanks for posting all the great tips. I think that when the rest of us travel, we will be so prepared! Ally

Sarah said...

Woo hoo! Great pics! Yummy food! Obviously, I'm overjoyed for you guys.

Anonymous said...

WooHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I have been dying to see pics how fab you guys are there and everything is great. So glad you love the hotel and Jason's market as much as we did!. How great is taipei 101! SO happy for you guys that I am crying happy tears that very,very soon Sophia will be in your arms. Thinking of you guys!
Love the McKillip's

Our Family said...

Tiffany,

Great to see you over there!!! Wow!You are so close to getting Sophia. I can't wait to hear about that moment! I'm with Teresa I'm so ready to be there now and I'll be using your trip as my guide!

Love,
Lori

Rebecca Lily said...

Oh, you guys, what great photos, and so nice that you're having such a good time!! I can't wait to try the food...

It brought tears to my eyes to see the picture of the little crib in your room. Just think, little Sophia will be in it so very, very soon!!

Anonymous said...

how awesome! glad you're safe & sound & enjoying & glad to see they have Diet Coke there for you! Can't stop thinking about you guys! Thanks for sharing the wonderful posts (especially the video feed... I cried). She is beautiful and only 1 more day. Keep enjoying and give Sophia a big hug and kiss from us! Love ya, Missy, Zach & Ben

Tisra said...

I'm so excited for you guys that I cried a bit about the crib part. I remember that feeling while I was in the hospital room in labor. Walking around, having contractions, and still waiting for my baby to be in my arms...and then the nurse walks in to prep the baby station with sterile things and a baby hat and blanket. Like, "our little one is really coming!" You're right there- that crib will hold your daughter!

Tisra
waiting for referral of our baby girl
http://lifetrain.blogspot.com

Kristin said...

Yay!!! I am so excited to read your blog and all about how much fun you are having already! It is about to get a zillion times better too!!! I can't wait to see pictures of you with your precious girl in your arms!

Unknown said...

Hello NEW Family...
Greeting from NEW YORK! I am thrilled to see you your family growing! Have a safe trip and Congrats! I would love to see you all soon.
Love and kisses,
Coffeytalk

Anonymous said...

The dumplings picture is making me drool - those are SO good with that real true soy sauce, just heavenly!
Can't wait to check in tomorrow and see the BIG day!
Andrea W :)
Miranda's Mom

Ann said...

It must be amazing to look at her crib and know that finally your dreams are coming true!!